Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Student Strike


I definitely had a cultural moment today as I went out into the middle of the city. I knew that today was a pretty important day for students. I've had several students and friends tell me they were going on strike today (all the universities in the city) to protest the introduction of new fees for students who are "taking too long" to complete their degree. The majority of students I have talked to about this say that it's restricting students in their course options and exploring other subjects as well as just taking away their right to free education. Well, I as I stood at Hackescher Markt, thousands upon thousands of students marched down the street, chanting and holding their protest signs. I've never seen students so passionate about something. Sign after sign said something about free education. The parade often turned political as I saw other signs that said "Capitalism is the war", "revolution" and even signs demanding anarchy. It was quite loud in both sound and color as there were people with drums, whistles, some dressed in all black or pink (what on earth?)... I was more entertained by this than the cultural festival a few weeks ago. Anyway, I feel like this experience gave me a little more insight to the state of this city. These students are the future of this city and I felt like today I got to see a glimpse of the direction things are headed. If only they could be this passionate about Jesus...

No comments: