Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Few Observations

I just returned from seeing my first movie in the theaters since living in Berlin and there a couple things I have noted:

1) I have never been one to watch a whole lot of TV, movies and be really into pop culture, but since living here, I realized tonight that I have been rather isolated from mainstream media. It was actually weird for me to watch the previews for coming movies and see amazing special effects as well as the trailer storylines that just seemed really bizarre to me. What have I missed since being in America? I guess a lot. Apparently the movie world evolves at a fast rate.

2) The movie we saw tonight was Valkyrie (which is about the closest assignation attempt of Hitler) and it was rather striking. First of all, it's a good movie that (even though you already know the ending) makes you desperately want the plan to work and your heart drops during the last third of it. Second of all, it had a special meaning for me to watch it here in Berlin where most of the movie takes place. Of course it was cool to recognize buildings, but it was just realizing the incredible history of this place and these people that was really moving for me. These things happened here, right here, where I live and work everyday! I've definitely been inspired to relearn the history of Berlin. There have been many brave and honorable people who sacrificed everything to do the right thing in this city and we need to remember them.

I don't know if it's out of theaters in America yet, but if you haven't seen Valkyrie, see it!

No comments: