Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Culture

The more I travel and the longer I live in a foreign country, the more I realize I actually know very little about this phenomenon known as "culture". I remember in my several sociology and religion classes that we defined this word many times. The truth is however, that it is very difficult to define something from the inside. We are never outside of culture and the very action of defining it implies much about the "culture" this action is coming from. I just got back from Sardinia on Mon. and I'm always fascinated by Italian culture, their friendliness, hospitality and curiosity about foreigners. Their loudness is such a contrast to the German quietness, honesty and time/trust earned loyalty. And even as I've adapted to German culture, I'm more aware of my American-ness, the way I'm hypersensitive to awkwardness and my tendency to sugarcoat a negative comment. But I'm continually baffled as to the fact that every person, no matter their place of origin is SO different than any other. What a strange human race God has created!

No comments: